How to Write a Review of Literature in a Dissertation: Important Rules To Be Observed
Writing a literature review for a dissertation seems to be a hit or miss situation for many candidates. The successes are large and the failures even larger. Working within literature for your dissertation will give you knowledge of the experts and researchers in the field. Knowing the formatting rules will show you how to present this knowledge from the experts and researchers.
There is a vast array of reasons to write a literature review. Remember, focusing on what you want to achieve is most important to actually achieving it with success. Some reasons for reviewing literature might be:
- Searching for new lines of questioning and inquiry
- Gaining knowledge into methodological concepts
- Obtaining support for tried and true grounded theories
- Identifying relationships between known practices and ideas
- Rationalizing the problem while focusing on its importance
- Understanding the structure and delivery of the subject
This is just a small sampling of the many reasons for writing a review of literature in a dissertation.
Cooper’s Taxonomy of Literature Review would need to be by your side and used as you write your review. The taxonomy breaks down the various characteristics important to the literature review:
Each of these six characteristic umbrellas has further sub headings and categories that must be touched upon for a thorough review. Problems seem to arise when writers deviate from the review guideline and begin to sing the praises of the author and his or her works.
While using the above taxonomy as your map, you will want to cover the following five stages in your dissertation literature review:
- The Problem Statement and Formulation
- Data and research collection
- Data and research evaluation
- Interpretation and analyses of the collated data and research
- Public presentation of your findings
This is just a listing of each of the stages. Each stage has a very complex infrastructure and guidelines that must be respected and followed. Your success depends on knowing the guidelines, stages, and all the sub directions and rules for writing a literature review.
Do not put pen to paper or begin step one of research until you fully understand the map that your literature review must follow. Understanding the rules and how to use them are as important as the research you will gather. Impeccable research gathered, but presented incorrectly, will not give you a successful paper.
Follow these academic guides and manuals to write great thesis papers or edit your written graduate projects.
- Completing a dissertation
- Finding doctoral paper samples
- Writing a dissertation proposal
- PhD thesis online bring no use
- How to choose a reliable PhD dissertation service
- APA citing in dissertation
- Buying dissertations online
- Dissertation acknowledgments writing
- Dissertation takes a lot of time
- Dissertation writing agncies aren't reliable
- Thesis writing manual
- Creating a PhD Thesis Conclusion
- Planning your PhD dissertation
- Transitions in PhD dissertation
- Dissertation paper structure
If you were not able to find a helpful manual to assist you with your problem, contact us and our editorial team will write an interesting and easy-to-follow guide to help you with your thesis or dissertation.
We can be reached at 101 South Orange Av., Orlando, FL. Email: support[at]ezyedit.com
Online writing help
For additional editing and proofreading help, check these educational resources.
Need help with thesis? Order custom thesis at http://thesisgeek.com/ - expert thesis writers.